Help! My dog ​​ate a chicken bone, what shall I do?

chickenbones

You have the big game on the TV, if you were distracted enough for your dog, buddy, the bones of the wing stole all the delicious chicken sitting at the table. After a roast chicken family dinner, kids scraped their plates into the trash, but someone did not replace the lid tightly and Buddy could not resist. Or maybe someone has left a picnic in front and behind a chicken bone and sniffed at friends during your hike in the night scarfed down.

Yes, we’ve all been there. Dogs are by nature not built to eat and digest the steak, chicken, ribs, ham or the first? Well, not quite. But before you get to the clinic of friends, here are some things to consider. While dogs and bones have always been together, they are bones cooked – no oil – it can be dangerous.

Raw bones – yes, even the raw chicken bones – are actually quite beneficial for dogs. In addition to providing calcium, phosphorus and other minerals and nutrients, stimulate the production of saliva enzymes that keep teeth and gums clean and healthy, and are a great way to create mental and physical stimulation, avoid boredom or bad behavior. Remember to always monitor your dog for chewing.

Boiled bones on the other hand, if they have not been marked as safe for dogs, should be avoided. Yes, even the bone ribs that your dog is salivating while you eat dinner safely should go into the garbage pile or compost and not in the bowl of your dog. Boiled bones become dry and brittle. If chewed by your dog can chewed bones and chipping lead to painful incisions in the mouth and gums, or even worse, can cause suffocation, internal injuries, perforated organs and death.

However, despite all efforts, your dog eats a boiled bone. What you should do?

1. When friends again boiled bones. Since boiled bones can splinter in the mouth, throat and digestive tract of a dog; Therefore, causing serious injuries and even death leads, it is very important first to make sure that immediately after the dog grasp the bones, do not drown in them. You know that the bones have been deposited in the throat of your dog when he starts to choke, miserable, vomiting, excessive alcohol consumption, licking his lips, suddenly shows a worried rhythm, or struggling to stay comfortable.

2. When bone friend taken. If your dog has eaten the forbidden food and does not seem to be drowning or experiencing any kind of problem, you are likely to be fine. However, it is important that you remain vigilant about your condition in the next few days. Make sure that it is able to move the bones through their droppings. You can try to give your dog something to serve soft as white bread as a pillow in his stomach. Thus, the delicate digestive coating can be protected from being scratched by the jagged bone edges.

Since the perforation of the organs is a real threat when sharp objects are taken by your pet, it is imperative that you pay attention to a possible internal bleeding. In the 12 to 72 hours looking for traces of blood in the stool, chair, flatulence, vomiting, nervous or anxious behavior or any other form of abdominal complaints. If your dog shows any of these symptoms, seek immediate medical attention. If after 72 hours you have not found bone fragments in your feces, you have your dog examined by a veterinarian.

3. Learning from the experience. Prevention is always better than cure. The best thing to do after this terrible incident is to learn from it and make sure it does not happen again. Take preventive measures by keeping a better eye on friends, buying a box of safer for dogs and making sure that tablecloths to your dog droppings are not accessible in one place.chickenbones

Leave a Reply